MICU Travel Nurse Career Guide
MICU Travel RN Jobs With Nomad Health
Highest-Paying Medical ICU Travel Nurse Jobs
MICU Travel Nursing 101
MICU Travel Nurse Job Description
A Day in the Life of a MICU Travel Nurse
Required Skills for MICU Travel Nurses
While soft skills like communication and empathy are important, hard
skills are equally essential to succeed in this role.
Critical Medication Management
Common Equipment and Procedures for MICU Travel Nurses
Facilitating Compassionate Care
MICU Travel Nurse Job Titles Explained
MICU vs. ICU Travel Nursing
MICU vs. SICU Travel Nursing
How To Become a MICU Travel RN
1. Get Your Nursing Degree
2. Pass the NCLEX and Get Licensed
3. Work in a Medical Intensive Care Unit
4. Obtain Specialty Certifications
Frequently Asked Questions About MICU Travel Nursing
Yes. According to the American Hospital Association, there are over 50,000 medical intensive care beds in community hospitals throughout the U.S. In some regions, the number of ICU beds have grown in response to COVID-19, so it’s likely the demand for MICU travel nurses will remain strong.
There can be an equal amount of stress in both the MICU and ICU. For some hospitals, these units are interchangeable and both will have a very sick patient population.
According to Nomad, the highest pay for a MICU travel nurse is currently $3,864 a week.* According to ZipRecruiter, the average highest pay for a MICU travel nurse in 2023 is $2,758 a week.
*Subject to change. This is based on Nomad MICU job listings as of March 7, 2023.
MICU Healthcare Resources
- U.S. General Services Administration. (n.d.). Per Diem Rates. Retrieved from https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. (2021). StatPearls: Prone Positioning. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK556028/
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses. (n.d.). Home. Retrieved from https://www.aacn.org/
- Mount Sinai. (n.d.). Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU). Retrieved from https://www.mountsinai.org/care/pulmonology/services/medical-icu
- Cleveland Clinic. (n.d.). Mechanical Ventilation. Retrieved from https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/15368-mechanical-ventilation
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. (2018). StatPearls: Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499989/
- American Thoracic Society. (n.d.). ECMO in Adults. Retrieved from https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/what-is-ecmo.pdf
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses. (n.d.). CCRN Adult. Retrieved from https://www.aacn.org/certification/get-certified/ccrn-adult
- American Hospital Association. (2021). Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals. Retrieved from https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospitals
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. (2021). Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association: Rapid implementation of a mobile care coordination tool to support hospital-wide communication during the COVID-19 pandemic. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8314191/
- BMC Health Services Research. (2021). Patients undergoing endotracheal intubation show reduced rates of pneumonia with antibiotic prophylaxis. Retrieved from https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-021-06755-z#:~:text=Patients%20undergoing%20endotracheal%20intubation%20show,reduce%20the%20risk%20for%20pneumonia
- OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. (2018). Moving Shift Report to the Bedside: An Evidence-Based Quality Improvement Project. Retrieved from https://ojin.nursingworld.org/table-of-contents/volume-23-2018/number-2-may-2018/articles-on-previously-published-topics/moving-shift-report-to-the-bedside/
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. (2019). StatPearls: Patient-Controlled Analgesia. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519511/
- Infusion Nurses Society. (2016). Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice. Retrieved from https://www.ins1.org/publications/infusion-therapy-standards-of-practice/
- Joint Commission. (2021). Medication Management (MM). Retrieved from https://www.jointcommission.org/standards/standard-faqs/critical-access-hospital/medication-management-mm/000002114/