Nomad Nurses Week 2022
While at Nomad we celebrate nurses every day of the year, each year one week is set aside so we can all celebrate the talented and skilled nurses in our lives. Nurses Week is a time to honor the vital role of nurses in our healthcare system – and in our communities. Nurses Week is May 6-12, starting off with May 6th National Student Nurses Day, and ending May 12th, Florence Nightingale's Birthday. The American Nurses Association has selected the theme, Nurses Make a Difference, for Nurses Month to honor the impact nurses have in our lives. This week let’s celebrate how nurses have made a difference by providing care and comfort to patients, families, and fellow workers.
Happy Nurses Week! To all our amazing Nomad nurses and all nursing professionals nationwide, the Nomad Nation thanks you for caring for our communities.
What is the History of Nurses Week?
Nurses Week was celebrated in 1954 to mark the 100th anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s mission to Crimea. The following year Congress introduced a bill to make the celebration an annual one but failed. The bill once again failed in 1972 and in 1974 President Nixon failed to designate the first week of February to celebrate nurses. It wasn’t until 1982 that President Reagan designated May 6th National Nurses Day. In 1990, the holiday got expanded into a week, May 6-12, by the American Nurses Association (ANA).
How are we celebrating Nurses Week?
It has never been more important to recognize our nurses, thank them and honor them this Nurses Week. In honor of Nurses Week, Nomad will be recognizing 3 incredible nurses for their outstanding contributions as caregivers. We are excited to gift each nurse with a personal vacation package so they can take some well-deserved time to relax and recharge. Our winners will be revealed on our Instagram and Facebook! Make sure you are following us so you don’t miss out! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Our Nurses Week awards include the Nomad Cheerleader Award, the Spirit of Excellence Award, and the Nomad Loyalty Award.
- The Nomad Cheerleader Award is a great way for us to recognize a nurse who advocates for Nomad, is knowledgeable about Nomad, and has a passion for building the Nomad community. This nurse is friendly, authentic, and excited to share their Nomad journey with fellow nurses. We are happy to announce that Domenic Carchia, Emergency Department RN has been awarded the Nomad Cheerleader Award. Congratulations Domenic!
- The Spirit of Excellence Award celebrates the efforts and spirit of nurses who promote positivity and delight amongst their coworkers. This nurse is someone who makes those around them smile, practices patience, and treats others with the utmost kindness. We are happy to announce that Adena Ross, Emergency Department RN has been awarded the Nomad Spirit of Excellence Award. Congratulations Adena!
- The Nomad Loyalty Award recognizes a nurse who is a trusted part of the Nomad team. Not only do they prioritize the health and success of their patients but they trust Nomad to get them to the bedside. This nurse has shown true dedication through their practice and time with Nomad. We are happy to announce that Allison Tyler, Cath Lab and Interventional Radiology RN, has been awarded the Nomad Loyalty Award. Congratulations Allison!
How to celebrate the Nurses in your life:
Do you know a nurse? Take a moment to recognize them and the work they do. We all benefit from the care and service nurses provide to society. If your family has an at-home care provider, consider doing something special for them. These nurses are not only caregivers but often become part of your extended family. A gift or treat for a nurse who becomes a loved one's dedicated caregiver will always be remembered. Even if you don’t come in regular contact with nurses, here are some ways you can still celebrate them.
Write a Thank-you Note
Say thank you with a handwritten card (or multiple!) for the nurses in your community. Here are some messages, from Hallmark Business, you can send to a nurse this week:
- “Your passion for our patients’ health is appreciated every day. Thank you for all you do.”
- “Your compassion, optimism, and kindness do not go unnoticed. We appreciate you!”
- “Because of you, we live in a happier, healthier world. Happy Nurses Week.”
- “Just a moment to recognize you and your hard work. Happy Nurses Week!”
- “You go above and beyond to make our patients comfortable. Thank you.”
- “You are a valued member of our team. Thank you for being the amazing nurse you are!”
- “You brighten peoples’ days—including ours. Happy Nurses Week!”
- “Our patients love you and the hard work you do does not go unnoticed. Thank you for everything. Happy Nurses Week!”
Donating blood is a great way to ensure that the healthcare system has the resources it needs. There is an ongoing need for blood donations and by participating in a blood drive you not only honor nurses but also help save lives. If you are eligible, consider donating blood on behalf of nurses this week. To find a blood donation center near you click here.
Nurses work exhausting shifts with long hours and deserve a treat for their hard work. Send a gift to a nurse for Nurses Week. Check out our gift guide for nurses here. Or consider sending a healthcare unit pizza or their favorite snack.
Companies are also looking to reward Nurses during Nurses Week. Keep an eye out for special discounts and deals for clinicians this week. You can find a list of companies and restaurants offering deals here.
May 9, 2022