The Department of Emergency Medicine at West Virginia University (WVU) School of Medicine and WVU Medicine Children’s in Morgantown, WV is actively seeking a trailblazing leader— trained in Pediatric Emergency Medicine (EM)—to serve as the inaugural Division Chief for Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Medical Director for the new WVU Medicine Children’s Hospital Emergency Department (ED). This state-of-the-art Pediatric ED will be housed in the soon-to-be-constructed, free-leaning Children’s Hospital.
Successful applicants to this position will possess an M.D. (or its equivalent)—and will receive an academic appointment in the Department of Emergency Medicine (with the possibility of a secondary appointment in the Department of Pediatrics) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Successful applicants will also have a proven track record of leadership, innovation, team-building, and of working in teams. WVU and University Health Associates (UHA) offer competitive salaries and benefits commensurate with qualifications.
As Division Chief, the successful candidate will report directly to the Chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine. As Medical Director, s/he will report directly to the Vice-Chair for Clinical Operations.
The WVU Department of Emergency Medicine—which enjoys a close and collaborative relationship with the WVU Department of Pediatrics—is looking for a creative and innovative individual to lead the way for the new Pediatric Emergency Department. In this dual role, the inaugural Division Chief and Medical Director will be charged with the following:
· Guidance of and close collaboration with the Department Chair, Vice-Chair for Clinical Operations, Medical Director (of the WVU Hospitals/Ruby Memorial Hospital ED), and hospital leadership—including the Executive Vice-President of WVU Medicine Children’s—in the design and operationalization of the new Pediatric ED;
· Management of the daily operations of the WVU Medicine Children’s Hospital Emergency Department;
· Assistance in recruitment and management of Board-prepared/-eligible Pediatric EM faculty;
· Collaboration with the Vice-Chair for Education and Training to develop and manage educational programs for a variety of learners;
· Collaboration with the Vice-Chair for Research and Scholarship to mentor Pediatric EM faculty and departmental fellows, residents, students, and Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) in scholarly and research programs related to Pediatric EM; and Collaboration with the leadership of the WVU Department of Pediatrics to streamline clinical care of pediatric patients.